Visiting the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations – FAO
Today our student of the Master in Agribusiness Management and Food and Beverage Management visited FAO – The Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations.
FAO is a specialised agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger all over the world. The Organisation’s goal is to achieve food security for everybody and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active healthy lives. With over 194 member states, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in.
Our students got the chance of seeing how this amazing Organisation commit itself day by day to solve some of the main issues that our planet has been facing during the past decades. Employees coming form all over the world cooperate fiercely to meet FAO’s goals and purpose and to improve the life quality world wide.
FAO has already reached different important results like:
- Eradicated the deadly livestock viral disease, rinderpest
- Created international standards, Codex Alimentarius, to ensure safe, good food for everyone
- Eliminated human ‘river blindness’ in 11 West African countries
- Maintains the world’s largest and most comprehensive statistical database on food and agriculture
- Created and led adoption of the first ever binding international accord to combat illegal fishing, the Port State Measures Agreement
- Produced globally-agreed upon guidelines on tenure rights to ensure equitable access to land, fisheries and forests
- Helped halve the number of hungry in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Promoted the Right to Food as a human right guaranteed in constitutions and frameworks of over 30 countries.
From a student point of view the visit, has been an ispirational activity to understand the importance of working together and truly believe in what you are doing. Be passionate about your job and always remeber that anything is possible especially when you put all your effort in what your are doing.
FAO is a beautiful example of people cooperating for a right and noble cause, reaching important objectives and creating a real community representing a state without national barriers, where different cultures are an added value and different point of views serves to come out with revolutionary ideas and creative solutions.
Thank you for the amazing experience, if you would like to join the FAO team for an internship refer to our Career Services department, to receive more informations!