Meet American Express
Rome Business School meet American Express!
Also known as Amex, the American multinational financial services corporation headquartered at 200 Vesey Street in New York City, named by Forbes as the 23rd most valuable brand in the world (and the highest within financial services), estimating the brand to be worth US$24.5 billion.
We have had the pleasure to meet the multinational company, learning more about its values, missions, services and products. Which are the key activities and focus of one of the most renowned brand of the world?
Headquartered at 200 Vesey Street in the Battery Park City neighbourhood of Lower Manhattan in New York City. The company was founded in 1850 and is one of the 30 components of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The company’s logo, adopted in 1958, is a gladiator or centurion whose image appears on the company’s well-known traveller’s cheques, charge cards, and credit cards.
During the 1980s, Amex invested in the brokerage industry, acquiring what became, in increments, Shearson Lehman Hutton and then divesting these into what became Smith Barney Shearson (owned by Primerica) and a revived Lehman Brothers. By 2008 neither the Shearson nor the Lehman name existed.
In 2016, credit cards using the American Express network accounted for 22.9% of the total dollar volume of credit card transactions in the United States. As of December 31, 2019, the company had 114.4 million cards in force, including 54.7 million cards in force in the United States, each with an average annual spending of $19,972.
In 2020, Fortune magazine ranked American Express at number 9 on their Fortune List of the Top 100 Companies to Work for in 2020 based on an employee survey of satisfaction. With more than 55.000 employees worldwide discover with us what are the attributes you will need to be part of this international group.
The company mission is to become the most respected service brand in the world.
The Blue Box Values are the basis of the culture and promises of the American Express Brand: they reflect the Company’s identity and what it believes in, clearly expressing its commitment to customers, quality of service, people, integrity, teamwork, social responsibility, diversity and inclusion.
More specifically, AMEX stands out for:
- Commitment to customers. Establish relationships that make a difference in our customers’ lives, through gifts, benefits, special packages, clubs, exclusive services and much more.
- Quality. By offering excellent products and services that add value to the customer.
- Integrity. They adhere to the highest standards of integrity in all businesses.
- Teamwork. They work together across geographical and cultural borders.
- Respect for people. They show respect for employees, encourage development, and reward performance.
- Exemplary citizens. They operate in full respect of the community in which they live and work.
- Personal responsibility. Personally responsible for keeping up with commitments.
- Desire to win. They show a strong desire to win in everything they do.
American Express Facts and Figures
Global Commercial Services
Global Consumer Services
Global Merchant and Network Services
Travel and Lifestyle
Credit and Fraud Risk
INCLUSION & DIVERSITY
Diversive and Inclusive Team
Colleague Experience Group
Provide a great collegue experience every day.
Understanding the collegue experience at a deeper level to co-create simple and great ways of working that enable everyone to be and deliver their best.