How customers in the wine world and agri-food in general will change

From the Rome Business School Research Report: Italy of wine, Analysis of a booming market

Not only companies will face a necessary digital conversion but also the final consumer. Proof of this is the significant increase in the purchase of wine online also in terms of frequency of purchase and the number of bottles requested by the individual customer. This will lead to the choice of bottles that are on average cheaper, with a good quality / price ratio, preferring products linked to the territory.

A great challenge that will involve the entire supply chain with its immense wealth of biodiversity, at a time when movements are still limited and for which it would be important to be able to develop a country project supported by government institutions in order to encourage and protect this essential. category that contributes to the promotion and marketing of Italian wine and with it of our country.

The wine market The agri-food chain of wine

In Italy, agri-food is not just an industry, but a real brand recognized and appreciated all over the world. In this context, the wine production chain represents one of the pillars of the national agri-food system, so much so that wine, vines and wine-growing areas are defined as “national cultural heritage” by Article 1 of Law 12 December 2016, n. 38 on the organic discipline of vine cultivation and wine production and trade (so-called T.U. of Wine).

Each of the aforementioned phases is, in turn, entrusted to one or more operators who, according to forecasts, will generate a total turnover of 11 billion euros for 2021 (+ 9% compared to 2020, but still far from the 13 billion recorded in 2019). According to data from Coldiretti, Italy of wine remains world leader ahead of Spain and France despite the difficulties due to the pandemic. The agricultural association underlines how the primacy is consolidated thanks to 602 varieties registered in the vine register against about half of the French cousins ​​with the “made in Italy” bottles destined for about 70% to Docg, Doc and Igt: in our country they are In fact, 332 wines with controlled designation of origin, 76 wines with controlled and guaranteed designation of origin and 118 wines with typical geographical indication are recognized. The remaining 30% of the production is destined for table wines.

The heterogeneity of the wine market means that there are many challenges that the sector must face. Just think, for example, of the climatic variability that has influenced and largely affects the productivity of some large wine grape production regions or, again, of the economic impact caused by crop pests and diseases. To all this, there is a substantial change in the average consumer who no longer looks at wine only as a “food”, but also as a “pleasure”, generating an increase in attention for the quality of wine and for the way which the same is produced.

Read More

© Rome Business School. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy
Request information